Thursday, June 23, 2011

Check it off the bucket list.


This feat has been at the top of my bucket list for as long as I can remember and I can now officially check it off. Our group traveled to the Badaling section of the Great Wall on Wednesday.

First build in 7th century and stretching over 4,000 miles it truly is an incomprehensible feat of engineering. A breathtaking sight, snaking up and down mountaintops as far as the eye could see. Our bus dropped us at the bottom of the mountain and our trek began. If you stretched your neck all the way back you would see our goal, a watchtower in the clouds.

I prepared myself for a lot of steps but until I was standing up there I never realized how but I steep terrain was. We did not walk the Great Wall we climbed it. Up the mountain the steps ascended, each a different height giving your body no opportunity to find a rhythm. It took us over an hour to reach the first watch tower but the views were magnificent.

It is included on almost every list of must-see sights around the world and rightfully so! And who would have guessed going down was more challenging than going up!

No comments: