Thursday, February 18, 2010

KSS Visit


I woke up about 4:30 AM this morning. My internal clock is still a bit off but not bad. I feel better today than I have on any other first day overseas. We walked down to Paris Baguette, my favorite breakfast spot before taking the subway over to Korea Social Services (KSS). KSS is the orphanage where Andrew lived for about six months. We had update meetings with six children in their care. We got a very unexpected surprise when Andrew's foster mom, Mrs Lee walked in. I had the opportunity to meet her on my first visit to Korea but Matt had not. She was at KSS to have the other child in her care updated.

After KSS we took a very crowded subway back to Itaewon. We had a traditional lunch; bulgogi with kimchi and all the fixins. And, I got myself a Burberry purse as a birthday present!

This evening we took the subway to Dongdaemun Market, an area we had not explored before. Its the textile meca of Seoul. A huge area with hundreds of tiny stores, each selling a specific item. One was completely dedicated to zippers. Yep! Zippers in every length and color. It was an interesting area but nothing we were intersted in purchasing. We did find a fantastic mandu resturant. With prices ranging from $3-$5 per entree to tried several.

No comments: